You’re ready to try a new approach to your wellness, and you’ve decided to try acupuncture for the first time? Great!
I know it can be slightly intimidating if you’re unsure about how the needles will feel, or what the treatment includes.
Don’t worry! Acupuncture is more relaxing than you’d imagine. But, to help you get prepared for your first visit, I’ve written down what you can expect during your first acupuncture session at Laura Meisel Acupuncture in Kihei, Maui.
- First you will take a seat and fill out some basic intake paperwork. Once you’ve signed the forms, I’ll begin by asking you some questions to discover why you’re seeking acupuncture treatment, what is going on in your body and your life, and how you digestion is, how you’re sleeping and other relevant medical questions.
- After the initial consultation is complete, I will have you lay on the massage table and make sure you’re comfortable.
- I will place my hands on your wrists in a few places and check your energetic pulses. In Chinese medicine the pulses give me information about your Qi (life energy). I might also ask to see your tongue which also gives me more information about your Qi flow.
- To begin placing the needles in the appropriate meridians and points, I will have you take a few deep breaths, and you will mostly feel the pressure of the guide tube. Sensations like warmth or heaviness is a normal Qi sensation and sometimes you may experience a slight poke.Communication is key and if at any time you have any discomfort, don’t hesitate to tell me so that I can make adjustments The more I know about how you are feeling the better I can treat you.
- The number of needles used and the placement of the needles will completely depend on what’s going on and what symptoms you are there for. Once I’ve inserted all of the points for your treatment, I will let you rest for 20 minutes during that time I may leave the room. I give you a doorbell button to ring me if you need anything. Most people fall asleep or take this time to meditate, and just relax and enjoy the peace and tranquility. This gives the body time to adjust and time for your Qi to balance.
- I will return and start removing the needles one by one. At this point I may have you re-position so that I can begin some hands-on massage and energy work.
- Once 90 minutes is up, you will leave feeling revitalized, grounded, supported, and pain-free. Check out my reviews to see what others had to say about their experience with me.
I hope this helps to paint a picture of what you can expect during your first acupuncture session. If you have any questions please use the contact form on my website. I’d love to hear from you!